Sunday, January 27, 2013

Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

My new obsession is Pinterest. I actually joined the site about a year ago, but at the time I didn't really get it. Well, now I get it, and I love it. I have been collecting recipes to try on my "Eat, drink & be merry!" board. I recently pinned this recipe and decided it sounded simple enough.

Take a look at that link to see what it's supposed to look like, because my pictures don't seem to look like that! This recipe proved that not all recipes are as easy as they seem, but the final product doesn't have to be pretty to taste delicious.


 If you're looking for a twist on the classic grilled cheese, you've come to the right place. 

Here's what you'll need:

2 slices ciabatta or French bread (I used ciabatta)
1 tablespoon soft butter
2 slices mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons basil pesto
1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese


Here's how to make it:

Spread the butter on the outside of each slice of bread.  Spread the basil pesto on the inside of each slice of bread.  Place the mozzarella slices on top of one pestoed inside piece of bread.  Place the other slice of bread on top of that.

 

Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the outside of one side.


This is where it gets tricky.  Place the sandwich, cheese-side down in a medium-hot pan.  The recipe says to let it cook for about 2 minutes or until the cheese is crusty and golden brown. I found that it cooked pretty quickly and even stuck to the pan, so I didn't leave it on long before I sprinkled some cheese on the other side, flipped it over, and cooked it on the other side for another minute or so.


All in all, this was a very quick, delicious eat. It only took me about 10 minutes to make, and while it doesn't look all that special, it was a tasty mixture of flavors that satisfied my grilled cheese craving.


No comments:

Post a Comment