Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Spinach Smoothie with Fruit

Going in a bit of a different direction … as I’ve been looking for new recipes to try, I’m coming across a lot more than just delicious dinner recipes!  There is so much out there.  And Greg and I recently decided to start trying to eat a little healthier than we have been.  I’m going to be looking for and cooking healthy dinners, but we’re also looking to change our breakfast, lunch and snack habits.  


Instead of that Saturday morning Dunkin’ Donuts run, why not start your day with a nutritious and delicious smoothie?  I’ll admit – when I first came across the pictures of these green smoothies, I thought, ‘Ew. Who would want to drink that? Looks gross…’  But after making and drinking it, there is only a slight veggie/green-ness undertone to it.  The mango, grapes, and lime juice really mask the fact that you are drinking a spinach smoothie.  And this smoothie is so good for you – spinach is packed with protein and lots of other vitamins and minerals. 

The original recipe, found in Real Simple magazine, calls for collard greens, but spinach was presented as a substitute, and I went with it.

Here’s what you’ll need:

2 tablespoons lime juice
½ water
2 cups chopped spinach
1 ½ cups frozen mango chunks
1 cup green grapes
 

Here’s how to make it: 


Pour lime juice and water into blender first. Then follow with chopped spinach, mango and grapes.  Puree for at least a minute until smooth.  (I noticed a few tiny bits of spinach while I was drinking it, so next time I’ll probably blend for 90 seconds or so.)  Add more water if you like your smoothies with a little thinner consistency.    



This was a super quick and easy recipe to make.  Now that I know how easy and healthy smoothies can be, I think I’ll be using my blender a lot more often!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment